Ticketed event: $20.00
• Identify the reasons for and value of using student teams for instructional purposes.
• Discuss the findings, including the Lencioni Model of Team Dysfunction and their application to student teams.
• Note difficulties/issues associated with using student teams for instructional purposes and group the identified difficulties/issues into conceptual categories.
• Discuss techniques, including the team compact, useful as strategies to mitigate most critical issues.
• Suggest ideas for continuing research into the topic with participants.
• Hands-on exercises will be used to practice application of the team tools, for team formation, building team trust, dealing with conflict, and team management.
Eric Rice teaches management and communication courses in the Center of Leadership Education in the
Whiting School of Engineering at Johns Hopkins University where he also directs the Graduate Non-
Degree Program. A sociologist by training, he has used his knowledge of organizations in his teaching
and consulting practice with financial institutions, unions, fortune 500 companies and not-for-profit organizations
to develop strategic plans, design programs, create management and instructor training and
materials, and perform various types of research over the last 25 years.
Bill Smedick is a Senior Lecturer and Director of the Master’s in Engineering Management Internship
Program in the Center for Leadership Education within the Whiting School of Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. Bill also serves as a Consultant for Kathleen Allen Associates, providing student affairs program reviews, curriculum design and professional coaching. Bill currently teaches courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels at Hopkins and has been involved in leadership education at the university since 1989. Bill has served in various community and professional association leadership roles, including Chairperson of the Board of Directors for the National Association for Campus Activities,
Member of the Board of Directors for the Counsel for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education
(CAS) and President of the Westminster (MD) Wolves Soccer Club.
EdD Morgan State University MS Southern Illinois University at Carbondale BS Southern Connecticut