Sun. June 10, 2012 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Ticketed event: $175.00
The ABET Program Assessment Workshop (7 hours) includes lunch.
Participants will broaden their understanding of the continuous quality improvement of student learning through the design of assessment processes, development of measurable learning outcomes, and application of effective data collection methods, which can implemented when they return to campus. This workshop is interactive and those attending will work in small groups applying the concepts learned throughout the day. Participants will receive a workshop booklet containing all slides and reference materials.
Workshop Facilitators: Dr. Daina Briedis (chemical engineering, Michigan State University) and Dr. James Warnock (bioengineering, Mississippi State University).
Participants leave the workshop able to:
* Identify key elements of a functional assessment plan;
* Clarify the similarities and differences between course and program assessment;
* Put outcomes to work by developing measurable performance criteria;
* Understand different methodologies for objectives and outcomes;
* Develop scoring rubrics to assist in evaluating abstract learning outcomes;
* Understand the pros and cons of various data collection methods;
* Create clear and concise reports on assessment processes and results;
* Understand the difference between assessing program educational objectives and student learning outcomes; and
* Understand the challenge of engaging faculty.