I Am A...
Online Session Locator
U210·CoNECD Safe Zone Workshop Building LGBTQIA+ Inclusive Classrooms and Workplaces in Engineering and ComputingWorkshop LGBTQ+
Sun. April 29, 2018 3:45 PM to 5:45 PM
Salon A, Marriott Crystal City
Ticketed event: Workshop Ticket - $35.00
Despite the recent advances in LGBTQIA+ equality through legislation and societal acceptance in some countries around the world, LGBTQIA+ individuals face exclusion, discrimination and overt hostility in many environments – including many classrooms and workplaces.
Did you know…
• 1 in 5 LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, asexual) students fear for their physical safety on college campuses?
• 1 in 3 LGBTQIA+ students are made to feel uncomfortable in our classrooms?
• LGBTQIA+ engineering students are more likely than women, underrepresented minorities, and non-LGBTQIA+ peers to report a chilly climate?
• STEM departments are lagging behind other disciplines in the adoption of LGBTQIA+-inclusive practices?
You can help change this! Safe Zone Ally Training an interactive workshop for students, faculty and the professional community, during which participants will build the knowledge and skills needed to create a more inclusive and affirming environment for LGBTQIA+ individuals in engineering and computing.
Participants will learn about:
• LGBTQIA+ concepts and the coming out process.
• Heterosexual and cisgender privilege.
• LGBTQIA+ issues in engineering classrooms and departments.
Participants will be able to:
• Recognize and disrupt anti-LGBTQIA+ bias in the classroom and workplace.
• Implement strategies to create an LGBTQIA+-inclusive classroom and workplace.
• Become a visible supporter of LGBTQIA+ students and colleagues.
Participants will receive a Safe Zone sticker to display in their workplace and a digital badge to display their credentials online.
» Online registration is currently closed « Back to Find Sessions