Online Session Locator

View Session

U242·SUNDAY WORKSHOP: Get Your Faculty Career Off to a Good Start
Workshop · New Engineering Educators Division
Sun. June 26, 2016 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Room 273, New Orleans Convention Center
Session Description

Ticketed event: $35.00
Research indicates that it takes 95% of new faculty 4-5 years to reach full research productivity and teaching effectiveness, while the remaining 5%—the “quick starters”—reach the same level in 1-2 years. In this workshop, we’ll outline practical, easy-to-implement strategies that will help new faculty in their quest to become quick starters.

Speakers
  1. Dr. Rebecca Brent

    Education Designs, Inc

    President, Education Designs, Inc.
    101 Lochside Drive
    Cary, North Carolina 27518
    Email: rbrent@mindspring.com

    B.A. Millsaps College
    M.Ed. Mississippi State University
    Ed.D. Auburn University

    Dr. Brent is President of Education Designs, Inc., a consulting firm in Cary, North Carolina. She has more than 35 years of experience in education and specializes in staff development in engineering and the sciences, teacher preparation, and evaluation of educational programs at both precollege and college levels. She holds a Certificate in Evaluation Practice from the Evaluators’ Institute at George Washington University. She coordinated faculty development in the NSF-sponsored SUCCEED Coalition from 1997 to 2003 and new faculty orientation in the Colleges of Engineering and Sciences at North Carolina State University from 2000 to 2013. She has authored or coauthored roughly 65 papers on effective teaching and faculty and teaching staff development. Prior to entering private consulting, she was an Associate Professor of Education at East Carolina University where she won an outstanding teacher award. In 2014, Dr. Brent was named a Fellow of the American Society for Engineering Education.

  2. Dr. Richard M. Felder

    North Carolina State University

    Hoechst Celanese Professor Emeritus
    Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
    North Carolina State University
    Raleigh, NC 27695-7905

    Email: rmfelder@mindspring.com
    B.Ch.E., City College of New York
    M.A. in Chemical Engineering, Princeton University
    Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Princeton University

    Dr. Felder joined the N.C. State University faculty in 1969. He is a co-author of the book Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes, which has been used as the introductory chemical engineering text by roughly 90% of all chemical engineering departments in the United States and many abroad, and he has authored or co-authored over 200 papers on chemical process engineering and engineering education. He has won numerous awards for his teaching, research, and publications, including the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Warren K. Lewis Award for Contributions to Chemical Engineering Education, the International Federation of Engineering Education Societies Global Award for Excellence in Engineering Education (first recipient), and the American Society for Engineering Education Lifetime Achievement Award in Engineering Education (first recipient). For a bibliography of Professor Felder’s papers and reprints of his columns and some articles, access his website at .

    * * *

    Separately and together, Drs. Brent and Felder have presented over 450 workshops on effective teaching, course design, mentoring and supporting new faculty members, and faculty development on campuses throughout the United States and abroad. They coauthored Teaching STEM: A Practical Guide (Jossey-Bass, 2016), and co-directed the American Society for Engineering Education National Effective Teaching Institute from 1991 to 2015.

There are currently 32 registrants interested in attending

Registration closed

» Online registration is currently closed « Back to Find Sessions