OPEN RANK PROFESSOR OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Founded in 1891, North Park University is a Christian university affiliated with the Evangelical Covenant Church of over 3,200 students from around the country and world. Located for over 125 years on the land of the Miami and Potawatomi tribes in what is today Chicago’s northside, NPU has recently been designated a Hispanic Serving Institution and is committed to serving diverse populations. Elevating North Park University’s core distinctives of Christian, city-centered, and intercultural, NPU values diversity among its faculty and is committed to building a racially and culturally diverse intellectual community, and strongly encourages the nomination and candidacies of persons who are Black, Indigenous, and People of Color regardless of gender.
The mission of North Park University is to prepare students for lives of significance and service through education in the liberal arts, professional studies, and theology.
Building on our core institutional identity—Christian, city-centered, intercultural—our vision is to create a university of uncommon character and enduring excellence, where faith, learning, and service meet.
North Park University is located in the Albany Park neighborhood of Chicago, one of the most ethnically diverse zip codes in the United States. It is nine miles from downtown Chicago. The North Park campus has often been referred to as an oasis in the heart of the city – a place where students from urban, rural, and suburban backgrounds alike can call home. And all of this within the major metropolitan backdrop of Chicago: one of the world’s largest and most diversified economies, renowned for its museums and music, and voted best large city in the U.S. for four years in a row by Condé Nast Traveler.
The College of Arts and Sciences at North Park University seeks applications for an open rank full-time tenure-track position in the Department of Physics and Engineering to begin in January 2023. Spurred by growth in the new Mechanical Engineering program launched in 2017, the department is seeking a candidate who will contribute to the development of the program as it seeks ABET accreditation.
The successful candidate will teach 24 semester hours per year in engineering based on their qualifications and the needs of the department. Additional responsibilities include advising and mentoring undergraduate students, implementation of a scholarly agenda, and participation in university wide service. Rank and salary are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
· Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
· Commitment to undergraduate education that focuses on relationships with industry.
· Evidence of a professional practice of engineering.
· Possess a clear understanding of and personal commitment to North Park University’s mission of Christian higher education.
· Licensure as a Professional Engineer.
· Experience in the areas of product design, mechanics, or controls.
· Experience using machine shop tools, Mechanical testing equipment and 3-D printers in teaching will be an advantage.
· Active participation in industry organizations.
Effective Date: August 2023
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, three (3) professional letters of recommendation (including titles, address, phone number, and email) and two essays:
1. A written statement that describes your understanding, experience, and commitment to North Park’s three core identities--Christian, city-centered, and intercultural—as well as your Christian faith journey and how it aligns with the mission and values of the University.
2. A statement of the applicant’s teaching philosophy
Please send the above-listed items to:
Dr. Kibum Kim, PhD – Search Chair
North Park University
3225 W. Foster Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.