Adopted June 1968
Amended June 1970
Amended June 1971
Amended June 1973
Amended November 1974
Amended June 1975
Amended June 1979
Amended February 1982
Amended June 1985
Amended June 1988
Amended June 1993
Amended January 1996
Amended June 2003
Amended June 2007
Amended February 2009
Amended February 2010
A. The name of this Division of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) shall be the Continuing Professional Development Division (CPDD).
II. CPDD MISSION STATEMENT
A. The mission of the CPD Division is to foster the development, delivery, and improvement of continuing education in all areas which pertain to allied branches of science, technology, engineering and math; to provide advocacy for and leadership in lifelong learning; and to create opportunities for exchange of information and expertise among providers and consumers of educational programs.
A. This Division shall consist of those members of the ASEE who wish to affiliate with the CPD Division and who pay the Division dues of $10 per year.
IV. ELECTION AND SUCCESSION OF OFFICERS
A. The officers of this Division shall consist of a Chair, a Chair-Elect, a Secretary, a Treasurer, six (6) Directors, and the immediate Past Chair of the CPD Division.
B. The Chair-Elect shall be elected biennially. The Secretary and Treasurer shall also be elected biennially in even and odd number years, respectively.
C. Two (2) Directors shall be elected each year. The term of office of Directors shall be three (3) years. No individual may serve concurrently in more than one of the offices of the Division, as defined in Section IV, Article A.
D. The Newsletter Editor and the Archivist shall be appointed annually by the Chair, with concurrence of the board, to ex officio membership on the Board without a vote.
E. Nominations and Elections
1. A Nominating Committee consisting of the past chair, chair-elect and one (1) active voting member of the CPD Division appointed by the past chair no later than the ASEE Annual Conference CPDD Board Meeting.
2. The Nominating Committee shall serve from one ASEE Annual Conference CPDD Board Meeting until it is discharged at the next ASEE Annual Conference CPDD Board Meeting.
3. The Nominating Committee shall prepare a slate of candidates for each vacancy to be filled at the next Annual CIEC Business Meeting.
4. The nominations shall be presented to inform the Executive Board and announced by mail to the Division membership so as to reasonably be received no later than thirty (30) days prior to the Annual CIEC CPDD Business Meeting at which the voting is to take place.
5. Additional nominations may be made from the floor at the time of the elections.
6. Nominations for Directors shall be made so as to maintain approximately equal representation on the Executive Board of both academic and non-academic members.
7. The election shall be by the registered members of the Division present at the business meeting of the Division conducted during the Annual CIEC CPDD Business Meeting.
F. The terms of the newly elected officers shall begin at the end of the CIEC Conference at which they were elected.
G. The Chair-Elect shall succeed to the office of Chair upon completion of his/her term of office as Chair-Elect.
H. In the case when the Chair is absent or cannot perform the duties of the office, the order of succession to the Chair for the conduct of all business shall be as follows:
The Executive Board may determine such incapacity to constitute a permanent vacancy because of death, resignation, or other valid reason, to which the order of succession above set forth shall apply.
I. When the Chair-Elect cannot perform his/her duties because of death, resignation or other valid reason, this office shall remain vacant and the functions of this office shall be discharged by the Secretary until an election can be held.
J. In any case where an officer other than the Chair-Elect cannot perform his/her duties because of death, resignation, or other valid reason, a successor shall be appointed by the Chair with the concurrence of the Executive Board to serve for the unexpired term of office of the Board meeting being replaced.
K. When it is necessary to hold a special election to fill a vacancy, such election shall be authorized by the Executive Board.
1. The special election shall, insofar as is possible, conform to the procedures outlined in Section IV.
2. Any modification of the rules and regulations contained in Section IV must be authorized by the Executive Board.
A. The CPD Division shall hold its annual meeting during the Annual Conference for Industry & Education Collaboration.
B. Members of the Society and other interested persons shall be eligible to attend all meetings of the Division.
C. A Quorum at any business meeting of the CPD Division shall consist of at least (15) Division members present at the time and in the place designated for the meeting, including at least five (5) members of the Executive Board.
VI. EXECUTIVE BOARD
A. There shall be an Executive Board consisting of the Chair, Chair-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, six (6) Directors, and the Immediate Past Chair of the CPD Division.
B. The Chair, Chair-Elect, Secretary, and Treasurer of the CPD Division shall fill these same offices on the Executive Board.
C. The Chair, Chair-Elect, and Past Chair shall be the representatives of the Division on the Executive Board of the Conference for Industry & Education Collaboration.
D. The functions and duties of the Executive Board of the CPD Division shall be as follows:
1. During intervals between meetings of the Division, the Executive Board shall administer any and all activities that may be deemed desirable for the promotion of the object of the Division.
2. The Executive Board shall authorize all official publications of the Division, subject to the Publications Policy of the ASEE.
3. At the beginning of the CPDD year, the Executive Board may designate each Director for liaison with special groups within the Division (Section Representatives, Special Interest Groups, etc.) or for other special responsibilities (Long-Range Planning, Membership, etc.)
E. The Executive Board shall meet at the Annual CPDD Meeting, the ASEE Annual Conference, and at other times at the call of the Chair.
F. A Quorum at any Executive Board meeting shall consist of at least five (5) members of the Executive Board.
G. The Chair shall submit an annual report to the Chair of the Conference for Industry & Education Collaboration Executive Board and ASEE Headquarters as requested.
H. All non-elected appointed positions have an indeterminate term and will continue to serve with the approval of the current Chair.
A. The Division shall have the following Standing Committee:
Honors and Awards
Research and Special Projects
Special Ad Hoc and additional Standing Committees may be established by the Chair.
B. The Chair of the CPD Division shall appoint a Chair of such Standing and Ad Hoc Committees as shall be deemed necessary. Each Committee Chair, in consultation with the CPD Division Chair, shall appoint the members of his/her committee.
VIII. PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
A. The rules and regulations contained in the latest edition of "Robert's Rules of Order" shall govern the affairs of this Division. In any instance in which the rules and regulations contained in "Robert's Rules of Order" are inconsistent with the ASEE Constitution and Bylaws, the ASEE Constitution and Bylaws shall govern.
B. Any action of the Division shall be invalid if it is in conflict with the Constitution or Bylaws of the ASEE, or the Bylaws of the Conference for Industry & Education Collaboration Executive Board.
IX. AMENDMENTS TO BYLAWS
A. These Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members of this Division present and voting at the business meeting at which the proposed amendments are to be considered.
B. Amendments to be presented for action at a business meeting of the Division shall be circulated by mail to the membership of the Division so they might reasonably be expected to be received at least (30) days before the date of the business meeting.
C. These Bylaws also may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the member of this Division responding to a letter ballot.
D. Only those letter ballots received by mail, fax, or e-mail within thirty (30) days of the mailing out date will be counted.
E. Amendments may be submitted by a majority vote of the Executive Board of the Division or by a petition to the Executive Board signed by not less than ten (10) members of the Division.
F. Amendments approved by the division membership shall be submitted through the PIC V Chair for approval by majority vote of the ASEE Board of Directors and shall take effect only upon such approval.